Online casinos in Spain
In Spain, there are 61 online casinos governed and legalized by Law 13/2001, regulated by the General Directorate for the Regulation of Gambling (DGOJ). This regulation establishes that only people who present their identity document, DNI or NIE if they are a foreigner, and who are of legal age, are allowed to play. In the same way, users who have notified their access ban to the regulatory body itself will not be able to access or register in a legal online casino in Spain.
The legislation also establishes the deposit limits that appear by default when registering and accessing an online casino in Spain. These are 600 euros per day, 1,500 euros per week and 3,000 euros per month. If the player wishes to increase them, he must take an addictive behaviour prevention test. After passing the test, you can request an increase in the money deposit limits, which will become effective after 3 days. To request an extension of the deposit limits again, 90 days must elapse. If the test is not passed, the user must wait a week to take it again.
Sports betting, live roulette and poker stand out in the wide variety of online games at online casinos in Spain, where there are also slot machines, blackjack and draws such as bingo. For their part, the most popular developers in online casinos in Spain are MGA, Red Rake, Zitro and Recreativos Franco.
Choice Casino has analysed in detail all online gaming websites, to offer accurate and concrete information about all Spanish online casinos.
The best live casinos in Spain
ChoiceCasino has selected the best Live Casino sites based on the variety and quality of live dealer games. Most live casinos offer European and French roulette, blackjack, and baccarat. You can also play bingo online with live streaming from the bingo halls.
Live casino games
In Spain, there are only three Live Casino providers that have licenses to operate live games, with live dealers: Evolution, PlayTech and Authentic Gaming, which obtained its license in 2021.
Popular live games include Lightning Roulette, Live Roulette (European version) and French Roulette from Evolution Live, Quantum Roulette, Cassiopeia Roulette and Playtech Slingshot Roulette.
In online casinos with live games, you can place bets on roulette and blackjack in real-time, maintaining interactive communication with the dealers through chat. Real-time electronic roulettes are also offered. The transmission takes place from the studios located mainly in Spain.
Another important point to note is that the operators of physical casinos that have the license to operate games on the Internet have the possibility of transmitting roulette or blackjack games live from the rooms of the casino itself. For this reason, the Casino Gran Madrid in Torrelodones has studios with live dealers, as well as live streaming of roulette and blackjack games 24 hours a day, throughout the week. Meanwhile, the Evolution company has a live roulette studio at Gran Casino Murcia - Rincón de Pepe.
What online betting games in Spain are preferred?
The types of online casino games par excellence in Spain are slot machines, roulette, blackjack, and poker. Normally, the games are divided into the following categories:
- Table games:
- Roulette: The most recognized online casino roulette games in Spain are Penny Roulette at Sportium, Saphire Roulette at Betway, First Person Roulette at Mr Green, Quantum Roulette at Bwin, Super Stakes at 888casino and Lightning Roulette. by Evolution
- Blackjack: The most popular Blackjack games in online casinos in Spain are: Low Stakes Blackjack at Sportium, Classic Multihand Blackjack at Betway, Classic Blackjack at 888casino and Perfect Blackjack at Bwin.
- Baccarat: Some of its most outstanding virtual online games are Baccarat Punto Banco and Baccarat First Person. For their part, the most popular live Baccarat games in Spain are Lightning Baccarat, Live Baccarat, Dragon Tiger, Baccarat Lobby, Baccarat 1, Baccarat Control Squeeze, No Commission Baccarat, Baccarat Salon Privé and Speed Baccarat. Some of the best online casinos with Baccarat games in Spain are Lowen Play, Gratogana, Play UZU, Casumo, Yocasino, Jokerbet, Starvegas and Yobingo.
- Poker: Some of the most prominent video poker games in online casinos in Spain are: Texas Holdem at Sportium, Bonus Poker at 888casino and Omaha at Bwin.
- Lottery: Some of the best options to play these varieties at online casinos are: Aztec Realm Scratchcard at 888casino, Lucky Leprechaun Scratch at Play UZU, Avalon Scratchcard at Luckia, Fortune Wheel at Gratogana, and Lost Vegas Zombie Scratch at Genesis Casino.
- Slot machines: The most famous online slot games in online casinos in Spain are Gladiator available at Sportium, Chiquito at 888casino, Dead or Alive at Mr Green, Avalon at Bwin, Jackpot Giant at Sportium, Game of Thrones at Betway and Jack Hammer in Mr Green.
The developers of the best online betting programs
There are online casinos that have games from a single developer, such as Starvegas online casino, which only has Novomatic (Greentube) games. For its part, Codere Casino operates with Playtech software, Versus offers NetEnt games and Wannabet only has R. Franco games. The website with the greatest variety of games of chance is Betsson online casino, there are also many slots in the 777 casino. The best page to make sports bets is the online casino and sports bets bet365.es.
In summary, there are many licensed online casino developers in Spain, the most prominent being: MGA, Red Rake Zitro, Recreativos Franco, NetEnt, Microgaming, Greentube, Playtech and Gaming1. The rest of the providers that are licensed to operate in Spain and have a certain level of popularity are Ash Gaming, Cryptologic, Felix Gaming, Fugaso, Isoftbet, Leander Game, Neogames, Novomatic, Playtech, Rival Gaming and Yggdrasil.
The legal regulation of online casino games in Spain
The DGOJ began to regulate online casino games in Spain, through Law 13/2011, known as the Gaming Law, to eliminate fraudulent acts and guarantee the correct application of online betting games in Spain, safely and responsibly. On November 3, 2020, a series of preventive modifications were published, with the aim of not promoting addiction to online gambling. In this way, the advertising and dissemination of online casinos and betting houses are exhaustively controlled, without affecting the development of the game in said places. All of this is included in Royal Decree 958/2020 on commercial communications for gaming activities.
Why play in regulated casinos in Spain?
The most advisable thing is to play in online casinos regulated by the regulations established by the DGOJ, especially for the trust, security, and comfort that it offers at all times. And is that these places are evaluated by the competent authorities regularly. They also have diversity in their security systems. Therefore, they guarantee the safe deposit and withdrawal of money and, in addition, ensure that the development of the games is carried out lawfully.
How to verify if an online casino is legal in Spain?
To check if an online casino is legal in Spain, you should consult the list of licensed operators on the DGOJ website, as well as verify the availability of the Safe Play logo on its website.
In general, gaming websites also have a Play-Well logo. It is a portal created by the DGOJ to offer information on responsible gambling and help those who have gambling problems.
It should be noted that to organize and market games of chance on the Internet, the operator must obtain a General License. In addition to, the unique licenses for each type of game, betting, slot machines, contests, or other games. One of the requirements of the DGOJ to obtain the license is the payment by the operator of 2 million euros, an amount that will guarantee the payment of prizes to customers, even if the operator goes bankrupt.
Illegal and unlicensed casinos
For operating games of chance without a license in Spain, penalties of up to 50 million euros are imposed. The DGOJ monitors and blocks access to illegal websites, as well as suspending the payment methods of the operating company.
Any advertising, sponsorship or promotion of illegal gambling in any form is prohibited. Failure to comply with this requirement will result in a fine of up to 1 million euros.
For playing in an illegal online casino, citizens are exempt from liability. However, the DGOJ warns that every user of an unlicensed gaming site puts his money and personal data at risk since he may be a victim of fraud or even charged for cooperation with criminal organizations.
How to contact the regulator?
Any citizen can contact the General Directorate for the Regulation of Gambling, through its electronic headquarters. Reports and complaints can be filed with the user's access code or an electronic certificate. Gambling complaints are sent through the contact form after the user has previously registered on the portal.
The objective of the DGOJ is to ensure that gambling in online casinos in Spain is safe, legal and transparent with guaranteed and declared payments. All transactions in the casino accounts are visible to the tax agency, so the citizen is obliged to include the game prizes in his annual income statement and pay income tax if applicable.
The general license for the exploitation and organization of Internet games of chance is granted by the DGOJ. The list of operators licensed by the DGOJ includes all online casinos and gaming pages, which are authorized to operate legally in Spain.
Legal betting in online casinos in Spain: betting limits
All Spanish online casinos have a betting limit, both minimum and maximum. This is established by the legal framework, denomination and by type of game. The maximum bets per round are determined by the deposit limits.
According to Law 13/2011, of May 27, the user can deposit up to 600 euros per day, up to 1,500 euros per week and up to 3,000 euros per month in his casino account. There is an option to increase these limits by submitting a request to the casino. However, the maximum bet that can be made for a game round does not exceed 3,000 euros.
The highest limits, as well as the largest amounts of money, are recorded in live online casinos. In fact, in classic live dealer roulette, a maximum bet of up to €2,000 is allowed, with a minimum of €0.20. For example, in lightning roulette. Some of the VIP and PRO roulette versions offer the possibility of betting up to €2,500. At most, Spanish casinos, players will be able to bet on Evolution Live Roulette up to €2,700 on Red/Black, Odd/Even and 1-18/19-36.
For their part, virtual online games, such as slot machines, video bingo, online roulette, and cards, generally have a minimum of 0.10 euros per play or spin. The maximum amount depends on the online game and the online casino, as it can be from €100 to €300. The average bets in a game round vary from €1 to €20.
Are there Spanish online games or casinos without limits to betting?
According to Law 13/2011, of May 27, the user can deposit up to 600 euros per day, up to 1,500 euros per week and up to 3,000 euros per month in his casino account. There is the option to increase these limits by taking a preventive test on addictive behaviours and submitting a request to the casino. After passing said test and making the request, the increase will become effective.
As has been explained, all regulated Spanish online casinos have a betting limit. Therefore, it is not possible to find an online gambling venue without these restrictions. Otherwise, it is illegal.
The objective of these established minimums and maximums is to maintain and control the risk of loss by the online casino. It is preventive damage control so that the situation does not lead to cases related to financial problems for the entity. These limits are calculated so that all winning plays can be paid out.
Jackpot in online casinos in Spain
The Jackpot is what is commonly known as a prize pool, which is particularly prominent in slot games. It is also common in raffles and lotteries, such as bingo. It is related to the RTP, as the amount and chance of getting the Jackpot vary depending on the RTP percentage of the game.
Spain online casino games with Jackpot are divided into fixed or progressive, depending on the jackpot offered. The differences between the two are:
- Fixed jackpot: The prize is always the same, it does not vary depending on the bet and the type of game, as well as the active players. To qualify for it, it is usually necessary to make the maximum bet and once the prize is awarded, its amount is the same again, it does not grow depending on the number of players and bets made.
- Progressive Jackpot: They are the most common in slot games at online casinos in Spain, although they are also present in blackjack, video poker or roulette games. The prize grows with the role of each player since it accumulates a part of the money bet of each one. Once the prize is awarded, you start over from scratch.
In 2015, the largest Jackpot in an online casino in Spain was awarded, with a prize of 7.3 million euros in the game Gladiator: Camino a Roma by Playtech. Currently, the best-known online casino jackpot games in Spain, which in turn have some of the highest jackpots, are Mega Fortune, Mega Moolah, Jackpot Giant, Age of the Gods God of Storms and Age of The Gods Mighty Midas, Gladiator Road to Rome, Jackpot Bells or Pharaohs Treasure Deluxe. For their part, the most prominent online casinos with Jackpots in Spain are Codere Casino, Betsson, Casumo, Bethard, Sportium, Betway, 888 Casino Mr Green, Luckia or Bwin, among others.
Bonuses and promotions in online casinos in Spain
Since May 2021, according to Royal Decree 958/2020, welcome bonuses and other promotions are prohibited in Spain, with the aim of not promoting gambling addiction. This modification alters promotions in the form of no deposit bonuses, deposit bonuses or free spins, as well as any other method of encouraging casino play and online betting.
Given these new decisions by the central government, one of the legal ways to reward players in Spanish casinos is cashback. That is, with the return of a percentage of the losses. However, such bonuses are rare and available at a few casinos. There is also the alternative of offering promotions to registered users with verified accounts 30 days after registration.
Online casinos with cryptocurrencies
In Spain, online casinos with cryptocurrencies are prohibited. In other words, there is still no legal option to bet on games of chance with Bitcoins and collect prizes in this type of currency. However, cryptocurrencies in Spain are already regulated at the tax level. According to the Anti-Fraud Law, each holder is obliged to declare possession of it and "provide information on the operations of acquisition, transmission, exchange, transfer, collection and payment with cryptocurrencies." In addition, the benefits generated with "virtual currencies" are subject to personal income tax and are included as "other capital gains". Although there are still no legal online casinos with this type of capital, the DGOJ will be considering the option of adding it as one of the payment methods on online gaming websites.
On the other hand, there are illegal casinos that do not have a license from the DGOJ and are not authorized to operate in Spain. However, they find ways to accept BTC from Spanish users.
Eye! Any online gambling website that accepts BTC deposits is illegal in Spain.
If you want to bet in online casinos in Spain with Bitcoins, the most correct solution from a legal point of view would be to convert them into euros and deposit the money, through the payment method accepted by the casino.
Online casinos in Spain generally have a wide range of payment methods, through which money is deposited and prizes obtained are collected. The most common and used in Spanish online casinos are:
- Credit or debit card: It is the most used payment method, especially for its security and comfort. They can be Visa or MasterCard.
- Bank transfers: It is the oldest, so it is the most used by players over 35 years of age. In addition, transfers can now be made from anywhere, which is a bonus to use as a payment method.
- Paypal: Well-known virtual wallet, which allows you to enter and collect money safely. It is linked to a bank account, from which transactions are made.
- PaySafeCard: Electronic card, which can be purchased physically or online.
- Neteller: Electronic wallet that has already been accepted by most online casinos in Spain. In addition, you can exchange cryptocurrencies, to be able to play. Speed and simplicity are their great supporters.
- Skrill: Another type of wallet, which also allows the exchange of cryptocurrencies. It can be used on any device.
- EcoPayz: Online payment, which is already available in many Spanish online casinos.
- Trustly: Electronic payment, is well known and used internationally.
Some casinos accept deposits through Bizum, MuchBetter, HalCash, Teleingreso, Sofort, but each availability must be verified on the casino website.
The minimum amount to deposit varies from 5 to 10 euros, the maximum is €600 according to the daily limit established by law. Withdrawals of the money earned are usually made through the same payment method used to deposit, except prepaid credit cards. You can withdraw starting from 10 euros, the maximum limits are established by each operator and the rules of the financial system.
Requirements to register in an online casino in Spain
Before registering and playing at an online casino in Spain, you must consider a series of requirements, established by the DGOJ. Online casinos, web pages or bookmakers do not have the same rules, but they do coincide with those imposed by the DGOJ:
- Age of majority: It is a requirement imposed by the regulations, which must be verified before registering at any Spanish online casino. The operator can unsubscribe the player in case he suspects that this obligation is not fulfilled.
- Budget limit: Many online casinos or bookmakers have the option of setting an amount of money that is allowed to be deposited per day, per week or month. This function can be modified from the player's profile.
How to register in an online casino in Spain?
The guide you should follow is as follows:
- Look at the Choice Casinos online casinos list: We have put together a great selection of the best online casinos in Spain, licensed by DGOJ, which ensure the correct development of their games, as well as the deposit and withdrawal of money.
- Choose the casino you like: Read the reviews of each casino, as well as the relevant general information, the description of their games and their bonuses.
- Register and access: Provide your data (name and surname, date of birth, address, telephone number, email, DNI or NIE), to create a profile and access the online casino in Spain. An important fact is that foreigners who do not have an NIE cannot register or play with real money in online casinos in Spain. In addition, online betting game operators must check that the user's data is not registered in the General Registry of Game Access Bans (RGIAJ) to prevent access by self-excluded players. By the way, any player can submit a request to self-exclude from online gambling.
- Verify your data: Provide photos of both sides of the DNI or NIE, to corroborate the data.
- Set up your profile with bank details: Choose a payment method.
- Deposit to start playing.
The best online casinos in Spain: selection criteria
There are more and more online casinos in Spain. But this does not mean that everyone is the most suitable to play what you want. Choosing a good online casino in Spain requires some time since a series of criteria and parameters must be evaluated. For example, the website with the largest variety of online games is Betsson Casino. There are also many slots at Casino 777. For online sports betting, the best site is bet365. The ChoiceCasino system has selected the best Spain casino websites based on game offerings, payment methods, additional options, reviews, opinions, and player benefits.
How to choose the best online game room?
To choose the best online casinos in Spain, it is recommended to consider the following aspects:
- Variety of slot machines, table games and casino software developers.
- Maximum and minimum bets.
- Limits on deposits and withdrawals.
- Live Casino has a range of games with live dealers.
- VIP programs.
- Payment methods.
- Mobile app.
- Quality and speed of customer service.
- Promotions, tournaments, and special offers.
The 10 best online casinos in Spain
At Choice Casino we have compiled a list of the 10 best online casinos in Spain for 2022, to save time searching. Next, we show you all kinds of detailed information, with the advantages and disadvantages of 10 online casinos in the country, leaving the decision to your free choice, based on tastes and gaming preferences.
LeoVegas - One of the leaders in the mobile version
It is one of the most recognized online casinos worldwide and in Spain. It has been awarded different prizes, such as the Mobile Casino Product of the Year. It obtained the license from the DGOJ to be able to be legalized in Spain in 2019. It also has sports betting, although its most notable aspect is the online casino and online games of chance.
- Variety of developers, such as Evolution Gaming, Microgaming, Rabcat or 2by2 Gaming.
- VIP club.
- Powerful application for mobile devices.
- Live casino
- 86 slots: Immortal Romance, Thunderstruck II, Game of Thrones, EmotiCoins, The Phantom of the Opera or Jungle Jim.
- Free demos.
- Wide variety of payment and withdrawal methods: credit or debit card (VISA or MasterCard), electronic wallets (Neteller and Skrill), bank transfer (Trustly), ApplePay or Karina.
- Little variety of roulettes, only 2: LeoVegas Roulette and Virtual Lightning Roulette.
- Reduced blackjack catalogue, only 2 tables, one of them in demo mode: Classic Blackjack Six Deck and LeoVegas Blackjack.
- Absence of PayPal in the payment methods.
- Withdrawals must be at least €20.
- The withdrawal of money can take up to 5 business days.
Genesis is a very intuitive online casino for the player
It arrived in Spain in 2019. Behind the online casino is Daunei Investments SAU, an entity located in Madrid. Despite this, Genesis Casino is an international company. Well, it is regulated by the DGOJ, the Malta Gaming Authority and by the UKGC, the British Gaming Commission. Among its most outstanding points is the extensive catalogue of Live Casino, as well as several of the most important developers in Spain, such as R. Franco and MGA.
- It has several operators: Evolution Gaming, iSoftBet, MGA, Microgaming, NetEnt or R. Franco.
- Live Casino, with up to 6 live roulette tables and the availability of Lightning Roulette, which includes multipliers up to x500.
- VIP club.
- Free demos.
- Variety in payment and withdrawal methods: credit or debit card (VISA, MasterCard and Maestro), electronic wallets (ecoPayz, Skrill, Neteller and PaySafeCard), bank transfer (Trustly).
- British DGOJ, MGA and UKGC licences.
- It does not have a mobile app in Spain.
- There is no live chat.
- Little variety in roulette and blackjack games.
Codere Casino - Experienced and hugely popular in Spain
It was founded in 1980 and arrived in Spain in 2008, opening its first face-to-face gaming room, regulating itself in the online gaming industry in 2012, with the entry into force of Law 13/2011. In Codere sports betting also stands out. They came to sponsor Real Madrid. Even so, it is one of the most complete online casinos that exist in Spanish territory, thanks to its wide variety of slot games, blackjack and virtual and live roulette.
- Mobile app for iOS and Android.
- Variety of developers, such as Playtech, NetEnt or MGA.
- More than 180 slot games: El Tesoro Pirata 5000, Manolo el del Bombo, Chiquito, Guns'n'Roses, Jack Hammer, Jackpot Giant or Gonzo's Quest.
- 8 roulette variants, including live roulette.
- 8 versions of blackjack.
- 25 video bingo options.
- Free demos.
- Little variety of money income: credit or debit cards (VISA and MasterCard,), bank transfer and Paypal.
- Withdrawals only by Hal-Cash and bank transfer.
- Only players from the Community of Madrid can deposit money into the online account at Codere's physical premises.
Betsson Casino - Complete offer of online and live games
It has been dedicated to online games of chance since 2006, being in 2018 when it began to operate with importance in Spain. Sports betting also occupies a privileged place in its product catalogue, combined with a very advanced, complete and powerful online casino section. It allows you to play a wide variety of roulette, slots and card games.
- More than 700 games.
- Cumulative points program.
- More than 400 slots: Starbust, Gonzo's Quest, Chiquito, Game of Thrones, Immortal Romance, Mermaids Millions, Jurassic Park, Jack Hammer or The Pirate Treasure.
- More than 40 slots with Jackpot: Jackpot Giant, Pink Panther, Batman Begins or Age of the Gods slots jackpots.
- 15 different roulettes, with the option of 3D roulette: fast ball, European, French, American, Premium and Premier VIP.
- 9 different versions of blackjack.
- 45 video bingo.
- Free demos.
- Payment variety: credit or debit card (VISA or MasterCard), bank transfer, Paypal or Skrill.
- It does not have a mobile app.
- It does not have a VIP club.
Mr Green Casino - Online casino specialized in slots and live roulettes
William Hill acquired the company in 2019 and has been one of the last to enter the online gambling industry in Spain, specifically in 2020. It stands out for its wide variety of developers, slot games and wide range of live roulette. A very negative point is that it does not have a mobile app, since a large number of Spanish players use smartphones or tablets to play.
- Variety of developers, such as NetEnt, Pragmatic Play or BigTimeGaming.
- Almost 300 slot games: Peaky Blinders, Starbust, Gonzo's Quest, Bonanza or Wolf Gold.
- Live Roulette, with up to six variants: Lightning Roulette, Live Roulette, Live Fast Ball Roulette, Auto Roulette – Lightning, Auto Roulette – Fast Ball and Auto Roulette – French Fast Ball.
- It does not have virtual roulettes available, only live roulette.
- It does not have demos for roulette games.
- Little variety of blackjack.
- You can only deposit money through credit or debit cards.
- It does not have a mobile app.
Betway Casino - Ideal online casino for sports betting, gambling and eSports
It is one of the most important in all of Europe, as in Spain, where it arrived in 2012, its main supporter being sports betting. Even so, its online casino offers a complete range of possibilities. In addition, it allows you to play and bet live, and in recent years it has added an eSports section. In short, Betway has all legal gambling options available in Spain.
- More than 400 games.
- Monthly tournaments or happy hours as a form of promotion.
- VIP club.
- Live Casino, with six roulette wheels: European and French Roulette, Lightning Roulette, European and French Slingshot Roulettes, and Auto Lightning Roulette.
- Variety of payment methods: credit and debit cards (VISA and MasterCard), PayPal, Rapid Transfer, Skrill, PaySafeCard, Trustly, Neteller or SafetyPay.
- Mobile app for iOS and Android.
- Little variety in blackjack.
- Little slot variety compared to other online casinos. They include Game of Thrones, Immortal Romance, Lost Vegas, Jurassic World, Twisted Circus, Thunderstuck II, 108 Heroes, Retro Reels and Hoy Ink.
- Only four virtual roulette wheels.
888 Casino - Online Casino with Unique Games
Of British origin, it has three very well worked and consolidated sections in the gaming industry in Spain: sports betting, online casinos and poker. Sharing your attention on these three pillars makes you stand out from the rest since most focus attention on a type of game. It arrived in Spain in 2012, being one of the first and consolidating until today.
- Offers minimum and maximum bet information on the home page.
- VIP club.
- Own game developer: Sectio8 Studio.
- Unique and exclusive games.
- Variety of own and NetEnt slots.
- Roulette variants, with different minimum and maximum bets.
- Free demos.
- Live and automatic roulette.
- Mobile app for iOS and Android.Variety in payment and withdrawal methods: credit and debit card (VISA and MasterCard), Neteller, PayPal, Skrill, Apple Pay, MuchBetter and Klarna.
- Little variety of blackjack games.
- Little video poker offer.
- Live chat for registered users only.
- British telephone, since the headquarters are in Gibraltar.
Mansion Casino - Huge Selection of Live Games
It was born in 2003, in Gibraltar, but it did not arrive in Spain until 2021. It is destined to be one of the most important in the online gambling industry in Spain, as is the case in many other European and Latin American countries since it has a wide range of features designed for player comfort. Internationally, in 2018 it was awarded UK Online Casino Operator of the Year at the International Gaming Awards.
- Wide catalogue of blackjack compared to other online casinos in Spain.
- Live Roulette, which beats virtual roulette varieties.
- VIP club.
- Free demos.
- Variety in payment methods: credit and debit card (VISA and MasterCard), PayPal, Skrill, Neteller, PaySafeCard.
- Little variety of providers: Playtech and MGA.
- Little variety of slots: Roma, La Mina de Oro, Night Out, Ages of Gold and Book of Kings.
- Scarcity in the offer of roulette games.
- It does not have a mobile app.
- It does not have a section with frequently asked questions.
Betfair Casino - Wide range of sports betting
It was born in 2010 and arrived in Spain with the regularization of the game in 2012. It is one of the most prominent on the national scene, having sports betting at the top of its services. Its online casino section also has a great claim, thanks to the variety of online games, such as slots and blackjack, live roulette that it offers.
- Mobile app.
- More than 100 slot games and a wide catalogue of roulette and blackjack games.
- Wide variety of live roulette.
- Free demos.
- Less variety of payment and withdrawal methods compared to other online casinos. It has the most common: credit and debit cards (VISA and MasterCard), Paypal, PaySafeCard, Skrill and Neteller.
- It only has a mobile app for iOS.
PAF Casino - Exclusive Slots and Roulettes
It is one of the most experienced online casinos in the world since it was created in the 90s. Thanks to this journey, it arrived in Spain with a catalogue of consolidated and very well developed games that did not take long to arouse the interest of the players. It also has a live casino, as well as unique and exclusive games.
- Almost 200 slot games: Starbust, Book of Dead or Gonzo's Quest.
- Exclusive slots.
- Variety of developers: Microgaming, NetEnt, Evolution Gaming, 1x2Games, Genesis Gaming or Yggdrasil Gaming.
- Wide range of roulette games, including an exclusive roulette.
- Variety in payment and withdrawal methods: credit and debit card (VISA and MasterCard), bank transfer, PayPal, Netelle, Skrill and PaySafeCard.
- Little variety of blackjack games.
- No mobile app.
App and mobile casino
All online casino websites in Spain are adapted to any mobile device, so they open easily and quickly on any smartphone and/or tablet. In addition, they offer a simple and comfortable interface to use from a touch screen. Various operators like Play UZU, 888casino, Betway, Partycasino, Leovegas, Mr Green, Marathonbet have developed an Android and iOS app with slots, online roulette and card games available on Play Store and App Store.
Some Internet gaming operators offer an app for sports betting. The best known in Spain are: Codere, Versus, Bet365, William Hill, Betway, Bwin, 888sports, Betfair, Retabet, Kirolbet, Sportium, Pokerstars, Marathonbet and Sisal.
History of online casinos in Spain
With the development of the Internet at the beginning of the 21st century and before the legalization of online gaming portals in Spain, anyone in the country had access to online casinos and unregulated sports betting sites. At the same time, there was no control over the protection of players' rights and taxes were not collected from this activity.
Law 13/2011, better known as the Gaming Law, was approved on May 27, 2011, the date that gave way to the current situation of regulated online casinos in Spain. This regulation regulates and controls everything related to physical and online gambling, through the General Directorate for the Regulation of Gambling. After the publication of this legislation, in 2012 the first online casinos and bookmakers were opened in Spain. The first to enter the Spanish market were the international casino and betting chains Bet365, 777 Casino and 888casino, as well as the national operator’s Versus (Orenes group) and Codere. After control at the legislative level, the regulator DOGJ inspects each transaction, so all payments are transparent and subject to established taxes.
The ability to adapt to any advance or change has characterized companies in the online gaming sector, which have reinvented themselves to perfection to meet the main demands of the market. This has caused online casinos to become a great competition, which has nothing to envy, traditional and physical casinos. And it is that online casinos constantly improve their platforms, as well as their game systems, enhancing usability and ease of access.
Today, the online gaming industry in Spain represents approximately 1% of the GDP. On average, this segment has a turnover of about 900 million euros per year (GGR), of which 45% are sports betting, around 40% are casinos, 1.50% bingo, more than 10% poker and less than 1% lottery and raffles.
The taxes that are paid in a casino when winning or losing
The money obtained through prizes in online casino games or sports bets must be declared in the Personal Income Tax (IRPF), declaring it as capital gains. The percentage is set between 19% and 47%, depending on the money obtained. If the player does not receive income of more than 23,000 euros throughout the year, it may not be likely to have to declare the prize, if it does not exceed an amount of 5,000 euros. It is necessary to know that some prizes higher than this figure are subject to income tax if they come from raffles, poker tournaments, sports betting, or any other game of chance. If the prize achieved is not money, that is, a car or a trip, the winner is responsible for paying the taxes of said gift.
Losses caused by games of chance in online casinos can be used to deduct the amount of taxes that must be paid on the winnings or prizes obtained. But these deductions will never exceed the amount achieved.
How much or what part of the winnings in sports betting is declared?
Sports betting has its particular situation. Well, you have to declare the money earned at the Tax Agency, depending on the amount:
- Earnings are greater than €1,600.
- Prizes of more than €1,000 with an employment income of more than €22,000.
Sports bets are declared together with the income obtained throughout the year, varying the percentages depending on the total money declared:
- 19% on amounts up to €12,450.
- 24% in amounts from €12,450 to €20,200.
- 30% in amounts from €20,200 to €35,200.
- 37% in amounts from €35,200 to €60,000.
- 45% on amounts over €60,000.
Contribution of online casinos to the economy of Spain
The online casino industry in Spain generates more than 41.5 billion euros a year, according to a study carried out by Codere. The turnover of companies in the online gambling sector has not stopped growing in recent years. This evolution has also been felt in the state coffers, as the sector contributes approximately 1,700 million euros per year. In this way, it surpasses other sectors such as restoration. The DGOJ tax rate is between 20% and 25%, which translates into 0.1 of the Gross Domestic Product (GDP). For its part, the commercial margin of online games is 6.1%. Sports betting, online table games and poker are the ones that raise the most money annually.
In addition, it should be noted that the same study ensures that the online casino industry generates almost 90,000 jobs a year. Therefore, it can be deduced that their contribution to the State is quite positive.